Seeking Views on the Proposed Draft 2020 Biodiversity Goals and Targets for Canada
Call for Interest/Participation
For more than 15 years, federal, provincial and territorial governments have demonstrated their commitment to conserving biodiversity and ensuring its sustainable use by implementing the Canadian Biodiversity Strategy and the Biodiversity Outcomes Framework. In October 2010, Canada and other Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity agreed to develop national targets in response to the Convention’s Strategic Plan for 2011-2020. The Strategic Plan is a globally aspirational, flexible framework of goals and targets. Canada is developing its own national biodiversity goals and targets using the Strategic Plan as a guide.
Over the past several months, federal, provincial and territorial governments have been working together to draft biodiversity goals and targets for Canada. On their behalf, Environment Canada is seeking views on the draft goals and targets.
The attached document provides details on the content of the proposed biodiversity goals and targets, as well as the context for their development. You are invited to provide your input by completing, by August 29th, an online questionnaire that can be accessed by clicking here (the questions from the on-line questionnaire are copied below).
The contribution of Aboriginal communities, businesses, cities, schools, research institutes, non-government organizations and individual Canadians is essential to achieving the proposed national biodiversity goals and targets, and to ensuring that they are relevant for Canada. Please feel free to share this invitation with anyone who may be interested.
Additional context and information on the proposed 2020 biodiversity goals and targets for Canada will be provided via an online presentation and simultaneous conference call. Participants will have an opportunity to submit written questions during the session using their keyboards. Registration is required in order to participate in the sessions. To register please click one of the following links. After registering you will receive an email containing instructions to join the simultaneous web presentation and teleconference
French Session, Monday, August 20th from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM (EDT)
English Session, Monday, August 20th from 1:00 to 2:00 PM (EDT)
The slides for the presentation that will be made during these sessions will follow in French and English.
Thank you in advance for your participation.
Wildlife Program Policy
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environmental Stewardship Branch
Government of Canada
Questions from on-line questionnaire
A. Goals and targets
1. Do the proposed goals and targets adequately reflect the most important priorities and opportunities on which Canada should act to conserve biodiversity?
2. Do these proposed targets meet the criteria of being “ambitious but achievable”?
B. Actions to support implementation
3. Are you answering this questionnaire as an individual or the representative of an organization? Please provide your contact information.
4. Of the draft goals and targets identified above, which are most relevant to your organization?
5. How might your organization be able to contribute to achieving these goals and targets?
6. Would you like to remain informed about the development of the 2020 biodiversity goals and targets for Canada, for example in the identification of indicators and reporting on progress?