Agriculture 2020: Challenges and Opportunities
When: May 26, 2010
Where: Ottawa, ON
Agriculture Canada held a one day consultation to develop a common understanding of the current state of the agriculture, agri-food and agri-based sector, the key drivers shaping its future, and how the sector can thrive now and in the decade ahead. Participants discussed the challenges and opportunities that lay before the agriculture, agri-food and agro-based products industry, and how governments and industry can work together for the long-term success of the sector.
Selected ENGO Delegate:
- Ruth Pryzner, Mixedwood Forest Society, MB
- Alternate: Karen Hutchinson, Caledon Countryside Alliance (and Eat Local Caledon), ON
Delegate Report: Agriculture 2020: Challenges and Opportunities
This was a multi-stakeholder meeting with representatives from industry organizations from across the agriculture and agri-food value chain, academia and policy organizations, federal and provincial agriculture officials, and other stakeholder groups (e.g. environment, consumers, etc).
An Overview of the Canadian Agriculture and Agri-Food System (2009) is available online. This 2009 report provides an economic overview of the Canadian agriculture and agri-food system and is meant to be a multi-purpose reference document to provide:
- an introduction to the agriculture and agri-food system;
- a snapshot of structural changes that are occurring throughout the system in response to various factors; and,
- background data and information to inform public discussions on challenges and opportunities facing the Canadian agriculture and agri-food system.
Information on Canada's agriculture sector is also available within Growing Forward: The New Agricultural Policy Framework.