2012 ECOSOC High Level Segment Open Call for Oral and Written Statements
Call for Interest/Participation
The NGO Branch of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs is pleased to announce an open call for oral and written statements for the 2012 ECOSOC High Level Segment (HLS) for NGOs in ECOSOC consultative status. The HLS will include sessions on the Annual Ministerial Review (AMR) and the Development Cooperation Forum (DCF).
The theme for the AMR segment this year will focus on "Promoting productive capacity, employment and decent work to eradicate poverty in the context of inclusive, sustainable and equitable economic growth at all levels for achieving the MDGs". The HLS will be held on 2 - 9 July 2012 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
This is a unique opportunity for organizations in consultative status with ECOSOC - and for civil society at large - to be heard at ECOSOC deliberations, as well as to contribute to issues of critical concern to the global development agenda. It will also provide a platform to specifically address the issue of employment and decent work this year, which is a crucial cross-cutting theme for the achievement of the MDGs.
The AMR will provide an opportunity to:
* Foster agreement on the key policies and other requirements for building productive capacity and promoting inclusive and sustainable economic growth in developing countries;
* Provide an assessment of progress towards achieving employment-related goals and commitments;
* Highlight the positive synergies between employment, poverty reduction and the achievement of other MDGs/IADGs and serving as a catalyst for the realization of employment-related goals and commitments;
* Encourage countries to launch initiatives in support of productive capacity building, employment and decent work at the ECOSOC substantive session
* Achieve broad multi-stakeholder engagement from the private and not-for-profit sectors.
What is the expected outcome of the event?
* A Ministerial Declaration on "Promoting productive capacity, employment and decent work to eradicate poverty in the context of inclusive, sustainable and equitable economic growth at all levels for achieving the MDGs"; and
* Consideration of recommendations and proposals for actions for ECOSOC, including new initiatives.
Who will participate?
High level officials from Ministers of Labour, Development Cooperation, Economics, Finance, Foreign Affairs, Executive Heads of UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes, and representatives of civil society, private sector and academia. For more information on the 2012 ECOSOC High Level Segment, please visit: http://www.un.org/en/ecosoc/newfunct/amr2012.shtml
How can NGOs participate?
In accordance with ECOSOC resolution 1996/31 and at the recommendation of the ECOSOC Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations and with approval of the ECOSOC, organizations in general and special consultative status are encouraged to make oral presentations to the Council.
In addition, ECOSOC resolution 1996/31 also includes a provision for NGOs in general, special, or roster consultative status to submit written statements relevant to the work of the ECOSOC on subjects in which the organization has a special competence.
NGOs applying to be heard at the 2012 ECOSOC High Level Segment are encouraged to submit a brief summary of an oral statement. Please note that due to the high volume of organizations requesting to speak at the event, we are unable to guarantee your participation. The authority to decide on the list of speakers will be vested in the President of ECOSOC.
The request should be submitted online at CSONet by using your organization's username and password. The deadline for oral statements is 6 April 2012.
NGOs in general, special, or roster consultative status are encouraged to submit written statements on the themes of the HLS, including the AMR segment mentioned above. NGOs submitting written statements must adhere to the following guidelines:
* A written statement must be submitted in either English or in French;
* A written statement submitted by an NGO in general consultative status should not exceed 2,000 words;
* A written statement submitted by an NGO in special consultative status should not exceed 500 words;
* A written statement submitted by an NGO in roster consultative status should not exceed 500 words;
* Only one written statement per organization can be submitted.
Written statements should be submitted online at CSO Net by using your organization's username and password. The deadline for written statements is 6 April 2012.
* To submit a written statement, please first Sign In to CSO Net. Once signed in, visit the 2012 ECOSOC High-Level Segment event and click on "Statements".
If you need to verify your organization's login and password or for any question other question relating to this open call, please contact the NGO Branch through our Contact Us page. Please make sure to select the "Statements to ECOSOC" category.